Building Bridges Engineering Activity for Kids
Today we did an exciting building bridges engineering activity. This activity is a fun way to teach kids about bridges while they play.
Before doing this activity we discussed Bridges. What are Bridges? Why are Bridges built? Who builds the Bridge? What are the different types of bridges we see around us? Which are the Famous Bridges in the world? Which are the Famous Bridges in India?
What are Bridges?
Bridges are structures. We discussed the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff too! In this story the goats have to cross a bridge to go to another bridge.
Why are Bridges built?
- Bridges are built to cross rivers, railway tracks, deep pits or any other obstacle.
- Bridges are also built for walking to cross the road.
- Flyovers are built to control traffic.
Who builds the Bridge?
Civil engineers build Bridges.
What are the different types of Bridges?
Here we only discussed bridges that we see around us, the kind of bridges he has seen. We spoke about Arch Bridges, Beam Bridges, Foot Bridge and Flyovers.
Which are the Famous Bridges in the world?
Sydney Harbour Bridge, Rialto Bridge, Tower Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge
Which are the Famous Bridges in India?
Bandra Worli Sea Link, Howrah Bridge, Jadukata Bridge
Building Bridges using Blocks
After this discussion, we started building various bridges using blocks and toys.
While building the structure we also discussed how engineers have to think about many things when they design bridges.
- They have to build a strong bridge so that nobody gets hurt.
- They have to choose strong material too.
- Bridges must be built strong enough to support their own weight as well as the weight of the people and vehicles that pass over it.
- The bridge must also be able to withstand earthquakes and strong winds.
My son got all excited about this activity.
We hope that this engineering exercise of building bridges will get your children to think about the reasons why various structures are designed the way they are.
Please comment and tell us will you try this activity with your kids?
More Kids Activities