Best Oil for Newborn Baby Massage
If you are looking for the best oil for newborn baby massage in India, you are on the right page.
Most Indian moms massage their babies every day. Some before and some after giving them a bath. It’s an Indian custom which all modern moms too follow. If you are a new mom or mom-to-be, you are at the right place to find the benefits of massage to babies and which oil to use for the same.
Benefits of Massage in Babies
Massage plays an important role in the growth and development of babies.
- It helps to make bones strong and develops healthy body.
- It helps baby to sleep well.
- It makes babies active and cheerful.
- It stimulates blood circulation.
- Premature babies in particular, benefit from weight gain with massage.
- It soothes colic in some babies.
- It also brings the mother and baby closer.
After knowing the benefits of massage for the baby, you may wonder which massage oil to use for the same? Which is the best oil for newborn baby massage? It is important to choose the right massage oil for your child. Incorrect choice may lead to adverse effects such as skin rashes and bacterial colonization.1
How to Choose the Best Oil for Newborn Baby Massage?
You can choose the appropriate oil on several factors
1. First, you should choose on the basis of the weather of your location.
Oil which is good during the summer may not bring out the same results during the winter. Some oils can be used in all seasons.
Summer : Coconut , Sesame, Olive Oil
Winter : Mustard, Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Oil
2. Second, you can choose the baby oil according to their benefits.
3. Thirdly, choose cold pressed oils compared to refined as it retains the nutritional value
4. Fourthly, vegetable oils which contain linoleic acid is good for your baby’s massage, and vegetable oils that contain oleic acid are not good for the baby as they are harsher on the baby’s skin. Unfortunately, the companies do not mention in their products that what type of fat it contains. So if your baby has sensitive or dry skin avoid olive oil and sunflower oil.
5. Fifth, choose according to your baby’s skin: Normal, Oily, Dry, or Extra sensitive.
6. Always do a patch test before applying the oil to check for any adverse reaction.
Benefits of Different Massage Oils for New Borns
- Coconut oil is popular in south India for baby’s massage.
- It has a cooling and soothing effect on babies.
- It is easily absorbed by the baby’s skin and doesn’t clog the pores.
- It is also the ideal choice for babies with sensitive skin or conditions like eczema, rashes or dermatitis.
- It can also help with common problems like cradle cap and diaper rash.
- It helps to treat baby acnes.
- It can also be used on bug bites to give relief from itching and burning sensation.
Sesame Oil ( Tilli ka Tel )
- Sesame oil is the base for most of the Ayurveda oils.
- It keeps the skin soft and moisturized as it is easily absorbed by the baby’s skin nourishing it from within.
- It is rich in linoleic acid which is good for the baby.
- It has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties too.
- It is helpful for babies with constipation. Massage with sesame oil helps in regular bowel movements.
- It is rich in zinc which helps to increase bone density.
- It has natural SPF properties
Olive Oil ( Jaitun ka Tel )
- In recent years, Olive oil has become very popular in India.
- It acts as a great moisturizer for baby’s skin.
- Olive oil is suitable for both summers and winters.
- It is rich in vitamin E and vitamin K.
- For babies with sensitive skin or extremely dry skin, it is not advisable to use olive oil. Olive oil is good for babies with normal skin.
- It is also not advisable for babies with skin conditions like skin rashes or eczema, as it can aggravate the condition. 2
- It’s OK to use olive oil on your baby as long they don’t have dry or irritated skin.
Mustard Oil ( Sarso Tel )
- Mustard oil is also a very popular oil for baby massage in the northern and eastern parts of India.
- It is a popular massage oil in winters since it has a warming effect.
- It also acts as a natural insect repellent due to its strong smell.
- It also acts a natural decongestant. Traditionally, mustard oil is heated with a small amount of garlic in winter season. Then, it is used for baby’s massage to treat common cold and cough. Some even add ajwain seeds.
- It is antifungal and antibacterial.
- There are some studies that show that mustard oil may not be good for sensitive skin. 3
- It is thick and sticky which may lead to clogs on the baby’s skin. Therefore, do not use in large amount for massaging your baby.
- To get rid of the oiliness and stickiness, give a warm bath to your baby after the massage.
- Almond oil is rich in Vitamins A, B2 and B6.
- It is also a good source of Vitamin E, which keeps your baby’s skin soft.
- It helps to improve the skin tone and good for lush eyelashes.
- It is easily absorbed by the baby’s skin.
- It also helps to cure indigestion and upset stomach. Gently massage your baby’s tummy with almond oil.
- It is also good for baby’s bones and joints as it is rich in Vitamin D, potassium, and calcium.
- It has a pleasant smell unlike other oils.
- Castor oil is brilliant for babies with dry skin.
- It is excellent for hair growth and is a great massage oil for baby’s hair.
- It can also help in curing colic. Just massage warm castor oil on baby’s tummy.
- It is good for babies suffering from constipation.
- It’s important to make sure that it doesn’t get ingested as it is toxic for consumption. Avoid castor oil if your baby has a habit of licking his fingers and hands.
- Essential oils should not be used on the skin directly. You need to apply with a carrier oil.
- It is not suitable for newborn’s massage.
- It can be used for children over two years. Even then it should be diluted with a carrier oil.
- According to some studies essential oils can disrupt the hormonal balance of children
- Ayurvedic oils are combinations of various oils and herbs.
- It is effective for overall growth of babies.
- Regular massage with Ayurveda oil helps in the growth of bones and strengthening of muscles.
- It also improves sleep.
- Mineral oils are derived from refining crude and is a transparent liquid.
- ‘Paraffinum Liquidum’ is the other name for mineral oil listed by companies in their ingredients.
- Minerals oils should not be used for babies. It is not absorbed by the skin, rather creates a barrier on the surface.
- It is ideal for babies having dry skin or eczema and other skin problems.
Did you find this article useful to find Best Oil for Newborn Baby Massage?
Which oil did you use for your newborn’s massage? Share your experiences with us in the comments section below.